Monday, August 15, 2016

Seven minutes in stroke - Han-Gil Jeong

1. What inspired you towards neuroscience?
It’s the attraction. When I was preparing to apply to a residency program, I asked myself; “Which organ is most important and interesting in human life?” The answer was easy to find; “Brain.”  

2. Why stroke?
During my rotation in ER, I met a patient with global aphasia with left MCA occlusion. The patient completely recovered after recanalization treatment. My heart pounded with excitement. That moment was I decided to go deep into stroke.

3. What have been the highs so far?
The highs so far was when I finally helped my patient with never-giving-up mind;
A 73-year-old woman presented to our clinic with drowsiness and generalized edema. She had had a left medullary stroke 7 months earlier. She was diagnosed with decompensated right heart failure but the cause was unknown even with a cardiology consultation. I had cared her day and night (even not going home!), and finally noticed that she was hypopneic/apneic when asleep. Yes, it was central hypoventilation syndrome after medullary stroke. She started nocturnal biPAP and fully recovered. After 3 months, the heart suffering at night was also normalized. I felt really great about successfully having treated the patient. The details are here! (http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)60682-1/abstract)

4. What have been the lows?
I think I’m still too young to talk about the lows of my career as a doctor or a researcher. :) 

5. How do you balance work life with the needs of home life?
I always tried to finish my work in time and according to priorities, although sometimes failed. But I can survive with a beautiful and fully supportive wife at home.
   
6. Who are your most important mentors and how did you find them?
I have been lucky to be mentored by many people. Dr. Kiwon Lee, who is always passionate and full of energy, have taught me how to be confident and successful in life. Dr. Beom Joon Kim, who inspired my interest in clinical research and have taught me how to conduct a reproducible and meaningful clinical research; Dr. Seung-Hoon Lee, who has the great pioneer spirit and has led me to the field of nanomedicine and stroke; Dr. Sang-Bae Ko, who was a model of clinical excellence and great teaching during my training; Dr. Byung-Woo Yoon, who was a model of patient rapport and generosity in a clinic.

7. What are your most important collaborations and how have you built them?

Currently, I have had the chance of collaborating with great researchers in the field of nanomedicine to develop nanotherapeutics for stroke (Dr. Seung-Hoon Lee & Dr. Jaeyun Kim). And I also collaborate with Dr. Beom Joon Kim focusing on post-recanalization treatment strategies for acute ischemic stroke. I’m always open to new opportunity and diligent in doing my research, which helps me to build healthy collaborations with other researchers.

Featured Post

Epidemiologic profiling for stroke in Nepal: Endeavour towards establishing database

Resha Shrestha  @avi_neuro. , MS 1 , Avinash Chandra, MD 1 , Samir Acharya, MS 1 , Pranaya Shrestha, MS 1 , Pravesh Rajbhandari, MS 1 , Re...