Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, and is a Consultant Neurologist at the Department of Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria.
6. Applying to grants and publishing papers
Applying for Grants
• Be part of a winning team and make meaningful contributions
- Contribute specific sections to grant applications in preparation
- Help with the internal review process, including proof reading
• Study successful applications
• Within the team, find your own unique space and gradually develop it as you get involved with projects
• Establish a profile and grow in it. Growth is a process that requires time and persistent effort.
• Build grantmanship portfolio one-step-at-a-time and grow thereby (R21, K43, RO1, U54)
• Identify a productive author who is willing to invest time and energy in your personal development
• Start small and grow. Publishing papers is a journey. Take one step at a time.
• Contribute in a timely manner to group writing efforts.
• Take initiatives and ask for support/partnership.
• Teamwork helps your rapid growth as you benefit and learn from the expertise of others
• Write, write, write…. The more you publish, the more you want to publish and the better you become paper by paper.