Monday, May 2, 2016

Seven minutes in stroke - Nadine Andrew

1. What inspired you towards neuroscience?
I was drawn to the complexity of neuroscience as complex problems require complex whole of system solutions. Maximising the use of routinely collected stroke data has great potential to change health systems, improve the quality of care received by those with stroke and improve patient outcomes. As a clinician and epidemiologist I felt that this was an area that I could contribute to in a positive way.

2. Why stroke?
From a personal perspective both of my grandmothers died from stroke. My paternal grandmother died at a young age and although I did not have an opportunity to know her the loss was greatly felt by my father and his siblings. I also spent many years working as a physiotherapist in community health. My experience working in this sector and later as a researcher coordinating a large National needs survey, highlighted that it is very difficult for survivors of stroke to access the services that they need. This is something that I hope to be able to address through my research.

3. What have been the highs so far?
Achieving national data linkage between the Australian Stroke Clinical Registry and hospital and death data between 10 different datasets from 5 different jurisdictions. This was a logistical and administrative challenge but means that we now have the largest and most comprehensive stroke dataset in Australia. We will be able to use these data to obtain a detailed view of the patient journey following stroke, identify important care gaps and investigate how the type of care received by patients impacts on long-term outcomes.

4. What have been the lows?
Working in research is incredibly competitive. It is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain funding to progress research. As a consequence many great ideas go unrealised.

5. How do you balance work life with the needs of home life?
I have a magnificent family who are supportive of my career and see value in what I do. I get great enjoyment from my work which makes the integration between work and home easy.

6. Who are your most important mentors and how did you find them?
I started working with A/Prof Dominique Cadilhac four years ago. She has incredible vision and an ability to translate this vision into reality. Her ability to network across health services, research institutions and engage with governments is inspirational.

7. What are your most important collaborations and how have you built them?
The stroke research community in Australia is very collaborative. My work with the Australian Stroke Clinical Registry has enabled me to develop valuable collaborations with researchers, academics and clinicians involved in the registry, staff from the National Stroke Foundation and data linkage experts from across Australia.

Featured Post

Epidemiologic profiling for stroke in Nepal: Endeavour towards establishing database

Resha Shrestha  @avi_neuro. , MS 1 , Avinash Chandra, MD 1 , Samir Acharya, MS 1 , Pranaya Shrestha, MS 1 , Pravesh Rajbhandari, MS 1 , Re...