Jo Avis #strokeart2014

I started painting during my rehab and recovery from x 2 massive strokes that I had at 26. They were caused by the heart infection endocarditis. I had to relearn to walk, talk, swallow and all activities of daily life. But over a 2 year period I manage to regain enough lost skills to return to my job as a special needs tutor at the local college, although only part time and back to living independently rather than at my parents home. I am doing very well in general but do suffer with sensory deprivation and central stroke pain on my left sides and lots of headaches as a result if my stroke but I not complaining, I am better than ever predicted. With a friend I started a Facebook page (www.facbook.com/year10.avis.art) to mark my ten year milestone as a stroke survivor.by selling my paintings to fund raise (for the Stroke Associations life after stroke centre Bromsgrove UK) It felt like the right thing to do as my love for painting was as a direct result of having strokes. I do landscapes, seascapes and abstract painting using acrylics, My painting is a daisy field 80cm x 30cm x 3cm
Jo Avis #strokeart2014 Reviewed by Carmen Lahiff-Jenkins on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 Rating: 5

3 comments:

  1. I wish you would address the real major problems in stroke rather than dancing around all the problems.
    1. There is no fast, easy and objective way to diagnose a stroke. Maybe when the Qualcomm Tricorder X Prize is available. A number of friends have waited hours in ERs until stroke symptoms have visibly manifested themselves.
    2. Only 10% get to almost full recovery.
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/stroke_rehabilitation.htm
    3. 12% tPA efficacy
    http://wrkf.org/post/more-stroke-patients-now-get-clot-busting-drug
    4. Nothing being done to stop the neuronal cascade of death during the first week.
    http://newswire.rockefeller.edu/2009/01/15/discovery-could-help-scientists-stop-the-death-cascade-after-a-stroke/
    5. No one knows how to cure spasticity.
    6. No one knows how to cure fatigue.
    7. No one has a plan to prevent survivors 33% chance of getting dementia post-stroke.
    8. No stroke protocol to address cognitive decline post-stroke

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear oc1dean my email address for the journal is carmenl@unimelb.edu.au please contact me directly. I am very interested in your suggestions. There will, however never be a fast and easy way to diagnose stroke as stroke and it's presentation is so individual. Thank you for your comments on the blog. ED response to stroke is disappointing and many researchers despair at the slow implementation of important windows for treatment, this is a message that is constant. Stroke is a terrifying condition and treatment is so important. There is a lot of work done with spasticity. Australian OT Leanne Carey does some incredible work in spasticity and sensory fine motor. I know that the paucity of stroke research is frustrating, however this is mainly a funding issue. I suspect you are busy lobbying governments for funding monies for stroke because this is the most serious pathway to these important outcomes. It is difficult to get industry funding for rehabilitation, but I know many researchers working hard on all aspects of stroke research, and am especially excited by potential neuroplasticity advances and feel this is an excellent future pathway for survivors.

    ReplyDelete

All Rights Reserved by World Stroke Organization © 2017

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.